Bill Wiesner knows bears and bear hunting. He has taken 57 black bears. He, his wife and two sons have taken more than 100, 30 of which qualify for the Pope & Young record book and seven of which qualify for the Boone & Crockett record book. Ten hunting how-to chapters and 10 memoir chapters.
How-to chapters include black bear natural history; distribution, population & record book entry totals (by state and province); hunting gear (rifle, slug gun, handgun, muzzleloader, bow, crossbow), camo, and other necessary bear hunting items; hunting from ground blinds; hunting styles (D-I-Y, guided, hounds, spot-and-stalk); scouting; baiting and scents; new twists (food plots, calling, decoying); the shot (before, during, after); care of hide for taxidermy; care of meat (processing, freezing, recipes).
Memoir chapters include incidents, personalities and bears encountered, and family involvement during the author’s growth as a bear hunter are entertaining reading.
ABOUT BILL WIESNER
Bill “Bear Crazy” Wiesner is one of the most revered bow hunters/designers in the United States. As an expert bow hunter, teacher, author and industry leader, Bill has been recognized by the industry and sought after to design and sell his bows. Bill’s bowhunting achievements are world class, with achievements yet to be equaled.
- One of the most prolific and accomplish bowhunting sportsman in the US for over 30 years.
- Recognized by Field & Stream magazine in 2000, with the honor of receiving the bow design BEST of the BEST AWARD, one year after starting Renegade Archery.
- Accomplished outdoor writer with articles published in all bowhunting/outdoor magazines (typically publishing 15 – 20 arctles annually). Publications Mr. Wiesner has written for include;
- Field & Stream
- Bear Hunting Magazine
- Bowhunter Magazine
- Bow & Arrow Magazine
- Archery World
- Whitetails Unlimited
- Wisconsin Bowhunters
- Wisconsin Outdoor News
- Bager Sportsman
- Traditional Bowhunter
- Numerous appearances on the Outdoor Channel and the Men’s Channel.
- Accomplished bow design engineer, revolutionizing sports archery.
- Companies started, exclusively using his personal bow designs
- Renegade Archery
- Orion Archery
- First hunter to complete the Great Lakes Grand Slam (bear, deer, turkey) with all types of bowhunting equipment: compound, recurve, longbow and self bow with stone heads.
- First hunter to complete Wisconsin Bowhunter’s Awards in one season. This award system is given to bowhunters who have successfully taken coyote, bobcat, turkey, deer and bear.
- Book author – Traditional Archery The Aggressive Approach, selling thousands of copies.
- Noted national seminar speaker Seminars include everything from “The Right Bow For You, Archery Safety, Bow Selection, Bow Hunting to Bear Hunting”.
- Is youth mentor and speaker at countless schools including; Sturgeon Bay High School, Green Bay High School, Depere High School, Gibraltar High School, Southern Door High School and schools in Appleton, Bloomer, Lake Geneva, Eau Claire, Iron Mountain – Michigan and Bruce Crossing – Michigan.
- Hunter Education Instructor for 25 years, – over 1,000 students annually.
- Bow Hunting and Safety Instructor at Ted Nugent’s Kamp for Kids, countless 4H clubs and Youth Archery organizations.
- First in a class of 8 bowhunters to be certified in Wisconsin under the International Bowhunter Education foundation.
- Accomplished 3D shooter – traditional class.
- Certified arrowsmith through Easton Archery.
- Produced 5 award winning videos recently releasing “A Man Called Bearcrazy”. Other videos include: “Traditional Archery – The Aggressive Approach”, “Bruin Up a Storm” and “Bowhunting A Family Tradition”
- Puts on many archery promotional functions from banquets to in-store promotions.
- Ran 4-H archery programs throughout Door County (Wisconsin).
- Member of the “Red Arrow Society” awarded by the Lakota Sioux Nation for archery contribution to the tribe. This is one of the rarest awards as it was given to a non-tribal member. .
- Member of many recognized state and national bowhunting organizations.
- Wisconsin Bowhunters Association
- Whitetails Unlimited
- National Rifle Association
- Oconto River Bowman
- Door County Rod & Gun Association
- Professional Bowhunters Association
- Recognized as bear hunting authority, taking more than 50 bear. With more than four decades of bearhunting, Bearcrazy has guided bear hunters, wrote numerous articles for national publications on bear hunting and does seminars on bear every year nationwide.